
Last month RAA released alarming survey data showing 85% of respondents couldn’t correctly identify the maximum speed limit for e-scooters on footpaths, while 77% were unaware that 16 is the minimum age to ride an e-scooter in public.
In addition, tragically one in three e-scooter fatalities in Australia are children, with 50% of children seriously injured on e-scooters suffering head injuries.
The new campaign, Don’t bury your head in the footpath – Face the facts, aims to improve safety outcomes by raising awareness of important e-scooter and e-bike laws, highlighting the consequences of risky behaviours and providing safety advice.
The campaign comes as SA Police data reveals that in the 12 months to May 18, 99 lives were lost along with 771 serious injuries on SA roads – 36% above the 73 fatalities and 27% above the 606 serious injuries to be on track to meet the State Road Safety Strategy targets.
The roundtable brings together road safety experts and policy makers, including SA Police, State Emergency Services, State and Local Government representatives, Members of Parliament, schools and the RAA.
RAA Senior Manager Safety and Infrastructure Charles Mountain said NRSW was an opportunity to shine a light on road safety to help reduce road trauma, with RAA focussing on personal mobility devices and regional roads.
“It’s now been almost 12 months since the use of private e-scooters in public areas became legal, and our research shows the vast majority of people don’t know the rules they need to abide by to help keep them safe on these devices,” Mr Mountain said.
“The consequences of not following the rules can be horrific – particularly for children on these devices.
“Not wearing helmets, speeding or riding underage can result in serious injuries, particularly head trauma and facial injuries.
“That’s why RAA is launching a safety campaign to raise awareness of the laws and help keep e-scooter and e-bike users and others safe on our roads and footpaths.
“More broadly on our roads, what we’re seeing this year is deeply alarming – March was the deadliest March South Australia has seen since 2005 with 99 lives lost over the last 12 months.
“It’s easy to see past the numbers and forget that behind every number is a life gone and families torn apart. We are bringing everyone together today to have productive conversations that will lead to safer roads for all South Australians.”
Minister for Police and Emergency Services Michael Brown said “Every life lost on our roads is someone’s parent, child, friend, or colleague. These are the tragedies that stay with families and communities forever.
“Reducing the lives lost and serious injuries on South Australian roads is a key priority for the Malinauskas Government.
“If you’re riding an e-scooter, you must follow the law to keep our footpaths and roads safe for everyone. That means wearing a helmet, sticking to the speed limits and being at least 16 years old.”
Superintendent Shane Johnson said, “Any fatality on our roads is a serious tragedy.”
“The number of deaths and serious accidents we have had this year is significantly higher than SAPOL’s target and I urge South Australian road users to be more careful.
“Think about your family and friends, and the family and friends of those around you.”
National Road Safety Week runs from 17 – 24 May. To find out more about the Facts the facts campaign, visit raa.com.au/facethefacts.
